Education and Certifications
2019 M.F.A. in Studio Art, Maryland Institute College of Art, Baltimore, MD
2010 Collegiate Professional License, Continuing Instructional Education Program, Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA
1998 Bachelors of Fine Arts, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA
1997 B.F.A. Program, Lorenzo De’Medici, Florence, Italy (VCU B.F.A. Study Abroad Program)
2017- Present Art Teacher, James McHenry Elementary School, Lanham, MD
- Develop and implement daily unit lesson plans according to National Art Standards and Common Core for grades K-5
- Participate in coordinating student artworks to be shown in various art shows across the county
- Collaborate with academic instructors to create comprehensive art integration strategies
- Provide after school art clubs and workshops
2015- 2017 Art Teacher, Noyes Elementary School, Washington, D.C.
- Developed and implemented daily unit lesson plans according to National Art Standards and Common Core for grades K-5
- Member of the Arts Leadership Team that assist with activities regarding the Arts serving the students and the community
- Participated in coordinating student artworks to be shown in various art shows across the city
- Provided after school clubs such as the photography and crotchet clubs.
- Served as the Assistant Coach for the Rugby Team
- Collaborated with academic instructors to create comprehensive art integration strategies
- Worked with various organizations and partnerships to provide students with field trips and tours in the academic subjects, as well as, the Arts
2014-2015 Art Teacher- Johnson Middle School, Washington, D.C.
- Develop and implement daily lesson plans according to state and national art standards for 8th grade Art.
- Established an after school art and technology club
- Served as an Assistant Girls Basketball Coach
- Coordinated opportunities for students to show in various art shows across the district.
- Collaborated with fellow arts teachers around the district to create unit art lessons and curriculum.
- Worked with Virginia Commonwealth University to provide a tour of the School of the Arts
2007-2014 Art Teacher, Rockhill Elementary School, Stafford County, VA
- Develop and implement daily unit lesson plans according to state curriculum standards for grades K-5th in the arts
- Foster a positive environment conducive to learning and promoting student/teacher interaction
- Participate in coordinating set up for programs such as the annual Stafford County, Fine Arts Festival showcasing various student artworks
- Coordinate school wide fundraisers
- Proctor for Virginia Standards of Learning Exam
2000-2004 Art Teacher, Phillips Elementary School, Hampton VA
- Developed and implemented daily unit lesson plans according to state curriculum standards for grades K-5th in the arts
- Fostered a positive environment conducive to learning and promoting student/teacher interaction
- Participated in coordinating set up for programs such as the annual Hampton Fine Arts Festival showcasing various student artworks
- Student mentor
- Organized Art Club
Volunteerism and Leadership
2017 – Present Artist in Residence, Greenbelt Recreation ARTS
2016 – 2017 Asst. Rugby Coach, Noyes Elementary School, Washington, D.C.
2014 – 2015 Asst. Basketball Coach, Johnson Middle School, Washington, D.C.
2010-2014 Teacher Mentor, Learn and Serve, North Stafford High School
2013 Representative, Stafford Educators Association
2012 Art Teacher, Vacation Bible School, Beulah Baptist Church, Thornburg, VA
2008-2012 Reading Tutor, Fluency Friends, Rockhill Elementary School, Stafford, VA
Vending and Exhibitions
2018 Artworks Uncorked & Untapped, Maryland Public Television
2018 Women’s Leadership Forum, Maryland Public Television
2017 Women’s and Gender Studies Conference, George Mason University
2017 Pancakes and Booze @ Big Chief, Washington, D.C.
2016 Pancakes and Booze @ Penn Station, Washington, D.C.
2015 Resident Artist at the office of Embodied Psycho Therapy, Washington, D.C.
2015 Raw Artist Presents: GLIMPSE, Howard Theater, Washington, D.C.
2013 National Black Law Students Association Conference, Atlanta, GA
2013 Black History Month Artist Exhibit, St. Paul’s Baptist Church, Richmond, VA
2012 Rockhill Elementary School Craft Fair, Stafford, VA
2012 Artist Who Teach Art Show, Fredericksburg, VA
2008 First Fridays, City of Richmond, Richmond, VA
2009 First Fridays, City of Manassas, Manassas, VA
2004 Artist Who Teach Art Show, Hampton, VA
Nathan, A. (2016). Reflection on the Trauma of Racism. Voices, 52(3), 1-103. Refers to published artworks “Divine Instruments” 2010 and front cover “Fish and Ants” 2009 by Nikki Brooks